Question:
Is Brooklyn considered New York?
2009-01-20 12:01:49 UTC
So I am getting ready to buy my ticket for my trip to July in New York. I am going to land in La Guardia Airport, someone told me that Brooklyn is not considered New York. I know it depends on where in Brooklyn you are staying, how far is Brooklyn from Times Square and the Statue of Liberty? Also where in Brooklyn should I look for Subletting an apartment for 3 weeks in July, the 1st-2nd
Twelve answers:
LJ
2009-01-20 19:47:57 UTC
First of all, I'm assuming that you mean New York City and NOT New York State???

New York City is made up of 5 LARGE parts:

Manhattan

Brooklyn

The Bronx

Queens

Staten Island

So, Brooklyn is most definitely part of New York City. It's not "considered" part of NYC, it IS part of NYC. I work for the NYC school system, I live and work in Brooklyn, and my paychecks say "City of New York" on them. I vote for the Mayor of New York. My garbage is picked up by NYC Sanitation Workers. I pay New York City income taxes. In short, I live in Brooklyn AND I live in New York City. Brooklyn is a part of New York City.

Now, there are people who "consider" only Manhattan to be New York City. This is a matter of how they feel about it, not what is. And they are very wrong. Especially these days, when Brooklyn is becoming a hip and desirable place to be.
Native New Yorker
2009-01-20 12:09:58 UTC
My friend, the last time I checked Brooklyn is part of New York City. The trip from Brooklyn to Times Square depends on what part of Brooklyn you're staying. The trip could take anywhere between 45 minutes to a hour and a half.

Good luck

Native New Yorker
moka_usa
2009-01-20 12:16:21 UTC
New Yorkers use the term 'New York' to mean Manhattan but technically New York includes 5 buroughs, those of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten Island. It's perfectly fine to stay in Brooklyn and take the subway into Manhattan. If you choose to do that your best bet is to find a place near the Atlantic/Pacific subway stop (Park Slope, Fort Greene, even Carroll Gardens or Cobble Hill). That will provide you with the most options for subway lines. I would definitely invest in a detailed subway map and street map of New York.

Good luck!
Linsey
2015-08-02 06:18:19 UTC
RE:

Need answers
2009-01-20 18:30:39 UTC
Brooklyn is in New York City. it is one of its 5 boroughs. depending on where in Brooklyn you are traveling from it can take you about 45 minutes to an hour and a half to reach said destination. I'm sorry I can't help you w/ the subletting but be prepared to spend no less than $1,000/mth on that. Also, heads up: it will be pretty hot outside, but the trains are hit or miss in the air conditioned department.
2009-01-20 12:04:56 UTC
There's NY State and NY City. Brooklyn is 1/5th of New York City... along with Manhattan, Bronx, Staten Island and Queens. We call them boroughs, but they're really counties. The confusion -- although I don't know why someone told you what they did -- is because the county of Manhattan is named "New York" and Brooklyn is named "Kings" and Staten Island "Richmond" country. These names go back to the English rule of law & geographies. (Where are you from, anyway?)

On its own, you can fit Boston, Cincinnati, St. Louis and Philly INSIDE OF BROOKLYN.. to give you an idea of its land-area.

Areas can be anywhere from 5-min to 45 min. away by subway.. Brooklyn Heights is right beside the Brooklyn Bridge. If you can, look into the areas of Park Slope, too, and Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Williamsburg, DUMBO, Prospect Heights, etc. -- again, see a map. (MTV has filmed their Real World in Red Hook, but that's too removed & industrial.) Taxis are easy, coming back to Brooklyn more than looking for one, heading in. And it's cold in NYC now. TIMES SQUARE is in the center of Manhattan. The Statue is on an island, which you need to get to via a ferry that leaves from the very bottom of Manhattan, which is shaped like a canoe, really.
2009-01-20 12:05:40 UTC
It is one of the five boroughs of New York, so yes it is considered a part of New York. The only persons who think "Manhattan" is only New York are snobs.

Brooklyn to Times Square is a 20-30 minute subway ride.
2009-01-20 12:06:49 UTC
Yes it is it is one of the five boroughs....

The Borough of The Bronx is Bronx County.

The Borough of Brooklyn is Kings County. <----------------

The Borough of Manhattan is New York County.

The Borough of Queens is Queens County.

The Borough of Staten Island is Richmond County.
2009-01-20 12:10:26 UTC
Yes.
?
2016-08-02 16:26:19 UTC