Question:
how can i live in New York for one week with 10 dollars in my pocket?
$
2006-04-02 09:24:16 UTC
how can i live in New York for one week with 10 dollars in my pocket?
Fourteen answers:
Worry?
2006-04-02 12:36:15 UTC
Get arrested for something minor and they will put you in jail for a week for free.
Chanteuse_ar
2006-04-04 00:07:16 UTC
My only idea is that if you can find a place to volunteer they may allow you to stay on the premesis. A homeless shelter may let you stay on in a room if you work for certain periods of time during the course of the day. I'm sure you'd have some down time to explore the city if they were to accept.

If you were interested in exploring NY state, I do know of one place where you may be able to volunteer working with rescued, retired and sheltered animals and they may put you up in exchange for some work..possibly provide food and even a small stipend maybe.

I suggest you come up with a coherent, well thought out proposal and contact http://www.petsalive.com . It's an animal shelter owned by a friend and they always need help. They're not close to the city, but you might be able to earn a enough to cover a bus ticket to and from the city from there for a day visit.

Another option is working with Clean Vibes (http://cleanvibes.com/) Another organization run by another friend. What they do is look for people to help clean up the grounds at various outdoor music festivals through the warmer months.

I don't know if they'll be working any New York Festivals this year, but email them and ask or check out what they have coming up on their website. They'll get back to you. They work festivals in various parts of the US including New York (they're based on the East coast) and it's a great way to hear some fantastic non-mainstream music and do your bit for the environment at the same time.

They provide meals, housing and even stuff to wear!
hopeangel_26
2006-04-02 16:39:03 UTC
You could stay at a shelter. They might feed you. But i am not sure how long they would let you stay. NYC is a very expensive place. You might be able to live on $10 a day if you sleep in the park and eat canned food.
bittersweet
2006-04-02 21:53:30 UTC
It's impossible to live in NYC with only $10.00. You would be homeless, hungry and dirty and that's really not living...is it? Save your shekels and come when that 10 has 2 more zeros at the end...then you'll be living!
laurieanne72
2006-04-02 16:26:09 UTC
You can't! 10 dollars will not even get you a hotel room or more than one or two meals at McDonalds.
Arbitrage
2006-04-02 16:27:11 UTC
I doubt you can find a real place for just 10$. You could probably find a friend in NY and just stay with him/her for a week if it really came down to it.
Sanitizer
2006-04-02 16:28:56 UTC
Park bench.
2006-04-02 16:30:47 UTC
cardboard box behind mc donalds
George Kramer
2006-04-02 22:28:06 UTC
Stay home and buy a lottery ticket!
tizzlebacon57
2006-04-02 16:29:18 UTC
in a cardboard box
brooklyn
2006-04-04 14:45:39 UTC
find yourself a sugar-daddy or sugar-momma for the week.
Shanny
2006-04-03 03:47:27 UTC
in your dreams
laxchick